Its been five months since I made the transition from paid employee to startup CEO/Founder. It took me at least ten years to make this move and a some additional treacherous months of over thinking and analysing on how/when/if I should bite the bullet. Today I decided to make a Top Ten list, of what I would have told myself in Jan 2014. Its amazing how far I have come and for those thinking starting up, my advice is simple. just do it!
1) You will not miss your old job even by a day. Nope as much as you think you love it now, you will strangely not miss it.
2) You will miss the free food though, the fresh juice and the friday small chops conversations while arguing over which YT video is we love that week!
3) You will love building your dream, you will work till 3am and still be excited to be up at 9am in time to go in the office! yes Crazy
4) You will find that the hardest part is building a solid team, but you will find a few awesome people who think your company is pretty dope
5) You will get upset when your first hire leaves, it will feel like you were dumped when you were 13, everyone will tell you this is silly !
6) You will find People Management and finding talent much more difficult that you thought and wonder why no one talks about it, you will discover a new found respect for your manager and wish you hadn’t given her/him such a hard time
7) You will obsess about your company day and night, all conversations about anything can be linked back to life at fashpa
8) You will wonder how your friends and family put up with you, because you work all the time and you will forget birthdays. Shoutout to YF! I love you sorry for forgetting you and pampers bday this year!
9) You will stretch the truth at interviews about work life balance, because the truth is you dont have one, but that just sounds bad, so you will say you manage the two well!
10) You will genuinely be happy about starting the F***k up and building your dream, even on those bad days when you just want to run home and hide